Who We Are
The South Carolina Forestry Association (SCFA) is a private, non-profit organization of individuals and companies dedicated to forest conservation and the sustainable use of natural resources.
SCFA is partnership of landowners, loggers, foresters, educators, researchers, conservationists, and sportsmen. They are joined by lumber mills, pulp and paper mills, wood processors, and equipment dealers. SCFA helps them all deal with common concerns and reach common goals.
To maintain and secure adoption of local, state, and federal policies that encourage management, utilization, and conservation of forest resources while maintaining or strengthening the pro-business climate for the wood and paper products industry.
Sustainable forests that provide social, economic, and environmental benefits.
Value Of Membership
Unfortunately, some individuals faced with a troubled economy and shrinking budget, question the value of membership in the South Carolina Forestry Association. But think about the difference in trying to run a business with or without the services available from your Association.
- When do you need the most support?
- When do you need the fastest answers?
- When do you need a network of friends?
- When things are going well, or when you are under intense pressure?
- When there’s plenty to go around, or when you’ve run out of options?
We need each other now more than ever.
Where can SCFA take you?
Intangible benefits of membership can be overlooked if we don’t do our part to remind our members of their importance. Benefits such as enhancing professional growth, technical training, access to information, industry promotion, and representation before the government.
With today’s increasing market pressures, SCFA helps its members manage the challenges of shrinking budgets, downsizing staff and rapid advances in technology. We forecast trends in industry to help members plan their futures and capture best practices in areas as diverse as tax management, technology, communications, and government relations.
These best practices are tangible benefits that save members time and money. For example, membership in SCFA provides you with a network of volunteers and staff members to search, research, read, gatekeep, problem solve, debate, analyze, publish, share, and win. What will it cost you to do this all by yourself? What will it cost you to do all this without your Association?
But membership is more than that, it’s also about civic responsibility. Perhaps Teddy Roosevelt said it best, "Every man owes part of his time and money to the business or industry to which he is engaged. No man has a moral right to withhold his support from an organization that is striving to improve conditions within his sphere."
What SCFA Does For You
- Advocacy of forestry through representation before the SC General Assembly, US Congress, and federal and state regulatory agencies
- Credible information and policy communication within the industry
- Workshops on forest management, safety, legislation, and more
- Receive the Carolina Forestry Journal and annual magazine -- the best sources of information on forestry in South Carolina
- Group insurance programs
- Awards, recognition, and incentives for outstanding achievement
- Support Project Learning Tree, Log-A-Load for Kids, SC Teachers’ Tour, and other projects
- Research, education, and conservation efforts through the South Carolina Forestry Foundation