Contact Us:
4901 Broad River Road

Columbia, SC 29212
Phone: 803.798.4170

Timber: #1 Cash Crop
90,000 Jobs

  4901 Broad River Road

P O Box 21303

Columbia, SC 29221

Emergency Assistance for Landowners with Ice Damage

UPDATE: The sign-up period for the Emergency Forest Restoration Program ends May 9. Please contact the Farm Service Agency office in the county where your timber was damaged to enroll.  Also, be aware that some larger landowners who do not qualify for other forms of assistance may be eligible under this program.

Additional resources for assessing damage, management options, and tax issues are available from the South Carolina Forestry Commission at

Early estimates show that 25,000-35,000 acres of forest land in South Carolina were severely damaged by ice in February 2014 and will need to be salvaged and re-planted. The Emergency Forest Restoration Program may help pay up to 75% of the cost of reforestation for landowners with property in one of the 25 counties hardest hit by the storm.

The Farm Service Agency (FSA) is now accepting applications for assistance through the Emergency Forest Restoration Program.   Although funding is not yet approved, landowners can begin the process by contacting the FSA office in the county where their property is located.  In order to ensure eligibility for assistance, landowners are encouraged to sign up with FSA and obtain advice from a SC Registered Forester before beginning salvage of damaged timber.

Landowners should not delay in contacting FSA. A specific sign-up period will be announced in the near future and may be as short as 30 days. The Farm Service Agency Emergency Forest Restoration Program web page has more information about the program, eligibility and how to sign up at:

Some landowners may also qualify for additional programs that can help with recovery from ice damage or reforestation.

Local FSA offices can assist landowners with filling out the required FSA-848 form, getting any information necessary, and referral to the local SC Forestry Commission office if a forest management plan is needed.  It is helpful for landowners who are not already enrolled with FSA to bring a property deed, plat map, and forest management plan if available.   


Farm Service Agency local offices can be located by selecting your county on the map at or by calling the state FSA office at 803-806-3820.

Steps for Landowners

  1. Contact the local SC Forestry Commission office or your consulting forester to assess damage and determine forest management options.
  2. Before beginning salvage or reforestation, contact the Farm Service Agency to determine eligibility for the Emergency Forest Restoration Program.
  3. Use qualified forestry professionals to carry out any needed work on your property.

If you have additional questions about this announcement, please contact Guy Sabin at 803-798-4170 or